Sunday, October 28, 2012

So, it's been a week since I posted.  And since we are in the calm before the "Frankenstorm", I thought I should take this opportunity to post an update. 

My menu last week didn't go totally as planned.  I made the chicken stock. Then I used that stock to make these clean chicken and dumplings.
I liked them, sort of.  I think I left something out.  I'd have to say this was a recipe fail.  It happens.  To be honest, it's always been a fight to get the kids to eat dumplings, and I didn't expect them to be jumping for joy at the idea of whole wheat ones.  But hey, the broth was kickin! 

Thursday night I made a big meal and took half of it to a family at our church who just adopted a baby girl from China.  (she is soooo adorable!)  I made a pork roast in the crock pot, some soba noodles with tat soi, and some sweet potato fries.  For dessert, I took them some apples and this pumpkin fruit dip.    The soba noodle dish was a recipe from my CSA newsletter - so I'll just copy and paste it here:

Tatsoi & Noodles
Serves 4
Ingredients

6 c Tatsoi, chopped
1 c carrots, julienned
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 c onions, chopped
1 pk soba noodles

Sauce

5 tbls nut butter
1 tbls. white wine vinegar
3 tbls soy sauce
1 tbls olive oil

Preparation

Prepare noodles per package directions.

Saute onions and garlic.  Add carrots and tatsoi, cook until tender, and combine with noodles.

Combine nut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, oil, and pour over noodles and vegetables.

Serve at room temperature.


It was DE.LI.CIOUS!! 

Friday night we had our tacos.  I love the homemade tortillas!!!!!

And we had enough left over to pack our lunches for the swim meet my dear daughter was in on Saturday! 

We never did have the spaghetti I had planned - and for some reason I cannot remember what we even had for dinner the other two nights.  Last week was a blur with swim practices and an intrasquad meet.  I do remember some brown rice and chicken in there somewhere. 

Last night we had to eat some food from the freezer - with the threat of a hurricane headed our way and the potential for power outages - I didn't want the food to go to waste.  So we had popcorn shrimp, haddock, tater tots and broccoli. 

Tonight we had a pizza (on whole wheat crust) and more broccoli.  I just can't let all that yummy broccoli go to waste! 

We are all stocked up on water, whole wheat bread, natural peanut butter and fruit spread.  Praying that our power stays on!  The journey continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment