Wednesday, October 3, 2012

So yesterday was our Day 1 of the unprocessed challenge.  I did not post last night because of Mark Harmon and Michael Weatherly.  NCIS is the one show each week that everything stops for. There are other shows I'd like to watch but if I have too much to do, it's no biggie if I miss them.  Tuesday night is not one of those nights.  I sat my butt on the sofa for two hours and watched NCIS and NCIS:LA (my husband tells me I didn't see much of the second show though).  I was really tired and went to bed at 10 after a half hour nap on the couch.  :)

Back to the food - for breakfast I made crepes with brown rice flour, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla, melted butter and eggs, which the kids love.  For lunch I had some vegetable lentil soup that I had prepared on Friday before I left for NY.  My husband reports that he completely failed at lunch because he went to McD's.  Ugh!  Did he have a salad? No, he had chicken nuggets.  AAHHHHH!  And guess what, he left for work again today without he or I packing a lunch for him.  Did I mention this is going to take a lot of prep work??! 

Our dinner last night was one we have had before.  I felt I wanted to remind them that eating clean can be delicious, so I prepared a meal we have had several times before.  Again, it's from one of my favorite websites, The Gracious Pantry.  The recipe can be found here.  We also had couscous with parsley and parmesan cheese and some veggies.  The summer squash was in my CSA pick-up - totally pleasant surprise as I thought they were done for the year.   And check out this bounty of beautiful fall vegetables I received!  I'm telling you, if you haven't joined a CSA yet, please check into it for next year.  What a great way to support locally grown, organic farmers!
Obviously the summer squash are not pictured because I already ate them.  :-)  Today I'm going to cook up the butternut squash.  I'm thinking of making homemade ravioli and hoping the kids will like it as much as store-bought ravioli.  I had some of the kale in my smoothie this morning.  The rest is in the fridge or on the counter waiting to be made into something of culinary genius. I might have to call a culinary genius to come over and help me cook this month.....

I'm still struggling with the kids lunchboxes.  I've always packed them a fresh fruit.  They, unfortunately, have never liked raw vegetables.  We're working on that.  My daughter took some almonds and pumpkin seeds, strawberries and spinach ravioli today.  My son took some baked Lays potato chips, strawberries, cheese stick and ravioli.  (yes, my kids eat a lot of pasta and no, this ravioli did not pass the rules for being "unprocessed") 

Off to the Y for some much needed exercise....

No comments:

Post a Comment