Sunday, October 14, 2012

Amazing day today! 

Made warm and nutty cinnamon quinoa for breakfast.  Church.  Lunch of brown rice, chicken, broccoli and carrots.  Afternoon supporting a great ministry.  Grocery store.  Yard work.  Watching kids play happily outside.  Kid approved dinner choice of homemade taco pizza.  Then a Redbox movie with my honey. 

That was my day in a nutshell.  Now to elaborate....

The quinoa was so simple - warm, nutritious breakfast in 20 minutes (and I have some left for tomorrow)!  I brought to a boil 1 cup organic quinoa with 1 cup water and 1 cup coconut milk.  Then I reduced the heat, covered and simmered for 15 minutes.  Then I turned off the heat and let it sit for another 5 minutes.  Then I removed the lid and added 1-2 cups blueberries (I eyeballed it), as much cinnamon as I wanted and a little stevia.  I added some chopped walnuts too - you could also use pecans.  Yummy!!

For lunch, I used our leftover brown rice from earlier in the week.  I always, always make a double serving of brown rice.  If I'm going to be cooking some for close to an hour, I might as well make enough to last all week.  The broccoli and carrots were from our crop share.  (Did I mention having a crop share is amazing!!)

After lunch we went to Norlo Park for the Sweet Walk to Remember and Balloon Release benefiting Sweet Grace Ministries.  This ministry was started by my dear friend Katy as a way to help other mothers/families, like her own, who have endured the pain of infant loss.  Her story can be found here.  I encourage you to check it out and offer your support.  It was heart-wrenching yet beautiful to watch hundreds of balloons float into the sky toward heaven in honor of those sweet lives.  So thankful and honored to be a part of it.

We left the park and headed to the grocery store - mainly to pick up a movie we had reserved on Redbox.  While there, I realized I didn't have all the ingredients I needed for dinner.  Well, the kids decided they wanted pizza.  So I checked my handy Whole Foods app and found a recipe for chicken taco pizza.  They very enthusiastically said that was a great idea, except they wanted taco meat instead of chicken.  So I grabbed some ground turkey while they found the pizza crust and salsa. 

Back at home we finished cleaning out our garden.  The kids were supposed to be helping us weed, but somehow ended up on the swingset instead.  I was just happy to see them playing together.  We (the hubs and I) had debated whether or not to sell our playset over the summer.  Today, I was glad we decided to hold onto it for another year. 

Off to bed now.  Another busy week ahead!  My dear daughter's 11th birthday party is next weekend!  And I have to come up with a clean cake recipe and unprocessed party food!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment