Sunday, October 7, 2012

For dinner tonight, I decided to "clean up" my hubby's all-time favorite recipe.  It's a recipe I found early in our marriage in one of my Taste of Home magazines.  It's called Baked Almond Chicken and it goes like this:

1/2 cup flour (I used whole-wheat pastry flour)
1/3 cup margarine, melted (I used real butter)
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 tsp salt (I used sea salt)
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used organic, and I only made 4)
1 cup whipping cream   THIS IS NOT A LOW CALORIE RECIPE!
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs (I made my own from organic 14-grain bread)
3/4 cup sliced almonds

Hot cooked pasta (I used Eden organics whole wheat and rice blend fettucine noodles)

Cover the chicken with flour, dip in the butter/spices mixture, place in a greased, shallow 3 qt baking dish.  Pour cream around chicken.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes.  Sprinkle bread crumbs and almonds over chicken, bake an additional 5-8 minutes.  Serve over pasta.

The kids now love this recipe too.  Tonight they even ate broccoli again - dipped in the sauce.  

This altered recipe is just an example of baby steps anyone can take to clean up their diets.  Although, this isn't the best example because of the heavy cream, I still felt better knowing there was no white flour or processed bread crumbs in it.  (have you ever read the ingredients of some bread crumbs on the market - it's crazy.  You'd think it would simply be bread crumbs....but, sadly, it's not.  What is with that??) 


I have this weeks dinner and breakfast menus planned out.  I'm still working on lunch - hoping some of the lunches can be leftovers from previous dinners!  Time to go pack some lunchboxes.  Good night!




No comments:

Post a Comment