Friday, October 12, 2012

Fear.

We all feel it.  So, what do we do about it?

And why in the world am I posting about fear on a food blog? 

Because, fear can keep us from trying new things, from stepping out of our comfort zones, from walking away from our old standards.  It can keep us stuck where we are when we would be so much better off moving forward.

I was over at the daily love reading an article about fear and relating it to other parts of my life. I feel it's important to share here as well.  Here's what the post's author, Mastin Kipp, has to say:

"Not acting because we are afraid is what keeps us afraid and typically not acting; because we are afraid is what MANIFESTS the outcomes we are afraid of.

It's totally ironic how that works, isn't it?

So, what we must do is SLOWLY start to prove our fear wrong. And RIGHT before any major breakthrough is when fear is at its greatest. This is a pattern I see ALL the time in my life, especially recently because I've had to step out into a lot of unknowns lately. And what's cool is that on the other end, I always come through the other side OK. So my NEW practice is to apply the feeling of being OK BEFORE I step into what I'm afraid of, and hold that mindset as I'm going through the fear.

It's a powerful practice!

So, what areas of your life are you afraid to embrace? What action are you not taking out of fear? Can you see that you are holding your own expansion back by NOT taking action?" 

Are you afraid to embrace your desire to feed your family a consistently healthy diet?  Afraid it would be too difficult, take too long, be too expensive?  Afraid you might not like how it tastes?  (that one held me up for a time) I encourage you to take action today, take one small baby step in the right direction.   Try a new vegetable or fruit.  Get rid of that white flour and change it to whole wheat or brown rice flour.  Stop cooking with canola oil and use coconut or grapeseed. 

And maybe you wouldn't even categorize it as fear.  Maybe you think it's just too exhausting to think about eating healthy.  Or it's just an inconvenience.  It's all about priorities.  There are like a gazillion little things we can do today to improve our health.  It's a process, sometimes a long one, but it's worth it.  Your health and that of your loved ones is worth it!  Here's a pic of my lunch today:

Two years ago, there's no way my salad would have contained broccoli and tomatoes.  No. way. ever.  But I've slowly been adding them into my diet and now I love them.  This salad was totally delicious.  (btw, everything on this plate is from me weekly share at Fulton Farm's CSA)

So I say - Go For It!!  Make today the beginning of your healthy food journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment