Sunday, May 12, 2013

It's Week 2 of the Smoothie a Day for May Challenge!

 This week, I'm going to guide you over to one of my favorite websites - my "go-to" for recipes - The Gracious Pantry.

 

If you're not familiar with The Gracious Pantry - it is a clean eating how-to website, started by a stay-at-home mom and chef.  It's a great resource, especially if you are new to clean eating and need some guidance.  If you go to this page,  Tiffany will tell you all about clean eating and how to get started.  She also has a No-Sugar Challenge and a new SummerFit Challenge that are worth checking out!  The majority of recipes on her site are her own originals, which is amazing!  And because they are her original creations, I cannot post the actual smoothie recipes here.  So I will guide you to 6 different glasses of deliciousness I found on The Gracious Pantry (there are LOTS more, so take some time and explore her smoothie recipe page!) and then I'll throw in another recipe I enjoy.  
First is the Cinnamon Apple Smoothie  which is so simple to make - just some apples, cinnamon, spinach and almond milk!  Super. yummy.

Next we have the Blueberry Banana Smoothie, which is my daughter's favorite (probably because it's doesn't look green).  Instead of the protein powder I add vanilla Greek yogurt for protein.  

For a tropical treat, try the Pineapple Breeze Smoothie.  I love her picture - martini glass with the pineapple garnish.  Breakfast doesn't get that fancy at my house!  


The Green Tea Mango Smoothie is a light, refreshing treat.   Great for an after dinner snack.

The Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie is a great, filling breakfast choice. Again, the protein powder is optional.  Another note, if you are having a smoothie only for breakfast and are getting hungry an hour or two later, add some oats to it.  It will definitely keep you feeling satisfied until lunch.  

This one contains beets - which are super-nutritious (even if you don't think they're delicious).  If you make this exact recipe, it will take some prep work.  The Gracious Pantry uses marinated beets but you could just use cooked. The Cherry Beet Smoothie is a great energy booster.

Now, for another of my favorites - the Raspberry Blueberry Ginger Smoothie.
Simple recipe:
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened vanilla
1/2 to 1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
Fresh ginger (add as much zing as you'd like)

Ginger is a healing wonder-spice.  You may have already known about it's ability to ease nausea but did you know these other benefits?       


Your Shopping List

Spinach - I still have some left from last week and since some recipes this week don't need spinach, I shouldn't need to buy any. 
Bananas - frozen
Frozen cherries, mango, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries - as needed.  I still have plenty of these in my freezer.
Fresh pineapple
Cooked/marinated beets
Apples - your favorite variety
1 can coconut milk
Almond milk, unsweetened (I buy Silk unsweetened vanilla.)
Oatmeal - traditional
Ginger root - you could also use ground ginger
Cinnamon - you should already have this in your spice cabinet.       

Enjoy your smoothies this week!  If you have any questions, or would like to further discuss your health journey, please contact me via email at bnaturallynourished@gmail.com or visit my website at www.bnaturallynourished.com . I hope to hear from you soon! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment